Sunday, October 2, 2011

Chocolate Fondant

Update on the 20th August 2012: I made this again using 100g Callebaut bittersweet chocolate & 100g Lindt Extra Creamy Milk chocolate and I definitely prefer this to the earlier chocolate combination. It wasn't as sickly chocolatey either. And this time instead of placing everything in a food processor, I allowed the butter to softened a little bit and mixed everything with a hand whisk until smooth before adding the chocolates. And I realised you just need the fondant to cook until the top is just set and little firm. Allowing it to stand for 5 minutes before tipping it over is a must if not the fondant with crack on the sides. If you have extras like I did, I kept the ramekins filled with fondant mixture in the refrigerator/freezer until needed. But you need to increase the temperature by 10-15 minutes/depending on your oven. When I kept mine in the fridge, I needed 20-25 minutes and freezer another 5-10 minutes extra. And served my fondant with chocolate raspberry ice cream but I found it really rich. I will try it with vanilla ice cream next time.


Adapted from Junior Masterchef 2010


200g chocolate (I used 100g 70% cocoa excellence chocolate & 100g 50% cocoa excellence chocolate)
60g butter, chopped
2 large eggs
2tbsp plain flour
1/3 cup fine sugar

double cream or whipped cream, to serve

1. Preheat oven to 180⁰C. Grease four ½ cup (125ml capacity) ceramic ramekins and arrange on a baking tray.

2. Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until smooth. Remove and allow to cool.

3. Place butter, eggs, flour and sugar in a food processor and process until smooth. Slowly add the cooled melted chocolate and mix until combined.

4. Carefully spoon 1/3 cup of mixture into each ramekin and bake for 10 minutes or until cooked on the outside.(Do not open the oven door until 10mins and do not over bake it, it will look like a cake instead of a fondant.You want a gooey and oozing out centre when you cut open).Stand for 5 minutes in ramekins.

6. To serve, gently invert warm fondants onto serving plates. Garnish with double cream/whipped cream, Double cream will subtle the richness of the chocolate and sweetness of the fondant.


No comments: