February is the month of love & celebrations for me. From anniversary to valentines day to back to back of birthdays. This cupcakes were made for an old good friend of mine whose birthday was yesterday.
The cake was adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Lemon or Orange cake 1 in her book Paris Sweets.
200 g cake flour,sifted
1/2 teaspoon double action baking powder
a pinch of salt, if you are using unsalted butter.If not, omit the salt
3 small eggs, at room temperature
80g whipping cream
3 tablespoon lychee liquid from the canned lychee's tin
55g cooled melted butter
half a can of lychees, sliced into two or three pieces depending on the size of your paper cups
Cream cheese frosting, enough to frost to the cupcakes
- Sift the dry ingredients together ( cake flour & double action baking powder ).
- Whisk eggs with sugar until pale and foamy,then add whipping cream & lychee liquid.
- Gentle fold into dry ingredients in three or four additions-the batter should be thick and smooth.
- Finally fold in melted butter in two or three additions.
- Spoon batter into cupcake papers about 2/3 full then add a piece of lychee in the middle then add more batter until cup is 3/4 full.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or when the cake tester is inserted it comes out clean in a preheated oven of 180C.
- Leave it to cool before frosting it.