Monday, January 30, 2012

Custard Chiffon Cake

UPDATE [9-SEPT-2012]


I made this cake again after a few months and I still think this is my all time favourite cake to eat as a snack. This time, I used 175g SR flour and 1/3 cup custard powder instead of 1/4cup which is 35 grams and it still tasted great. It probably needed to be in the oven for another 10 minutes on a lower temperature of 160 C because it was slightly on a moister side of a chiffon cake.


This has been the cake recipe I have tested in the longest time,I could make this all the time and eat it. I purposely made a whole cake to take with me for my travels to Sri Lanka and it finished within three days.

Excuse me for having writer's block at the moment.I came home exhausted from an odd timing flight to find my favourite one (my dog) with maggots and wounds all over her back. Pretty much with no rest I am here sharing you the recipe. Well I just had to share the recipe because it was simply the best cake I have tested so far.

Adapted from MMCC


200g self raising flour
2 teaspoon cream of tartar
35g custard powder
6 large eggs, separated
345g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
80ml vegetable oil
170ml warm water
  • Preheat oven to 180C. You will need an ungreased angel cake tin (not a non stick one as well).Do NOT grease it.
  • Sift the flour,1 teaspoon of cream of tartar and custard powder three times to ensure they are fully combined.
  • In an electric mixer,whisk egg yolks with 230g of sugar until pale and creamy, then add the vanilla extract.Pour the oil and warm water into a jug. While the yolks are still whisking on low speed, add the flour mixture and the oil & water at the same time, whisking until just incorporated.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then add the remaining sugar & remaining cream of tartar and continue to whisk until the egg whites are stiff but not dry. Very carefully fold the batter into the egg whites with a metal spoon until just incorporated.
  • Pour mixture into the cake tin. Bake for 1hour 15minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into cake.
  • After removing the cake from the oven, immediately invert it to cool by balancing the middle funnel onto a bottle neck. It is important for the cake to be inverted and suspended upside down until it is cool to stop it from collapsing.
  • When cool, run a knife around the outside of the cake and the funnel. Left the base out of the tin, then use the knife to ease the cake off the base.



No comments: