Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Tub Tim Krob (Red rubies with jackfruit in coconut milk)

Happy New Year!!!!!=)

I have unofficially stopped baking for undisclosed period of time because lately nothing I make seems to taste good.Not sure if it's because I dont have a proper kitchen to bake in or what but it's been a disaster in the kitchen. First,my pineapple rolls.It was always a hit. Second, my butter cake was a tad bit dry.Third, my croissant pudding and trifle. So I am taking a break from baking. But surprisingly my cooking skills have improved. I made lamb stew,everyone loved it.I made roast lamb,everyone loved it.I made yong tau foo,the platter finished before I could even eat.Lucky I saved some for the boyfriend. And also the noodles I made for NYE. Weird.I never liked cooking. Usually I go out for NYE but this time I stayed home,had the boyfriend come over to Ipoh and had a rather quiet dinner at home with family & boyfriend. I made a whole lot of dessert for the NYE but to much disappointment nothing worked so I didnt really serve them.

Anyway enough of me ranting over my baking disappointments,my aunt helped me make this dessert for NYE but when we were about to serve it, we realised the coconut milk turned sour, talk about dessert platter disaster on the last day of the year.Bad luck.

Here goes.
Tub Tim Krob - Red rubies in coconut milk syrup


Red rubies - water chestnuts coated in tapioca flour :

10 water chestnuts, peeled and diced into pea size chunks
red food colouring, enough to evenly coat the water chestnuts
4tablespoon tapioca flour

Syrup :
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 pandan leave


Coconut milk :
400 ml coconut milk, we used Ayam brand coconut milk box
300 ml water, we filled the Ayam brand box to 'clean' the box of leftover coconut milk inside the boxes
1 1/2 teaspoon salt

Ice cubes
10 jackfruit bulbs, sliced thinly



  • For the red rubies :- Toss diced water chestnuts with red food colouring until evenly coated. Place coloured water chestnuts into a bowl of tapioca flour and coat well with tapioca flour. Shake excess flour off the coloured water chestnuts. Put floured coloured water chestnuts into a pot of boiling water. Let it boil for about 2minutes or until flour turns translucent and the vibrant colour of the water chestnuts shine through. Remove and drain the water chestnuts.
  • For the syrup :- Boil all ingredients for syrup in pot until fragrant and starts to thicken a little. Remove pandan leave and leave it aside.
  • For coconut milk :- Place all ingredients and bring to a boil then remove from heat. You gotta becareful when it comes to boiling coconut milk because over boiling the coconut milk, will create an oily surface on top.
  • To serve :- Place red rubies,slices of jackfruit, ice cubes, coconut milk & syrup in a bowl. Serve straight away.



No comments: