The pictures below were taken a few months ago and I never had the time to post the recipe up.I made this a couple days back for my cousins. Everyone enjoyed even though the soup was a little fishy to their liking.
Adapted from Agnes Chang - Hawker's Delight
For fish mince :-
500g mackerel,ikan tenggiri flesh, (this is how I remove the flesh from the bones of the fish ) bones and skin kept for the stock
100g g tinned bamboo shoots, squeezed dry and diced
assorted vegetables & beancurd for stuffing. ( I had more tau foo because my cousins preferred beancurd)
1tablespoon tapioca flour
1/2 white pepper
For stock :-
Bones & skin of fish
100g fermented soya beans (tau cheong)
1 slice ham choy
1 cube ikan bilis (anchovy) stock
Spring onions and fried garlic oil for garnishing
- For fish stock :- Boil all stock ingredients for 2hours.
- For mince fish :- Using a pastel & mortar, pound flesh of fish until very fine and a sticky paste is formed.Mix tapioca flour,water,salt & pepper until combined. Slowly add to to fish paste until paste is very sticky.Continue 'pounding' until you get a springy texture.Add bamboo shoots and mix well.
- Stuff fish paste into your desired vegetables and beancurd.
- Arrange on steaming tray and steam for 10minutes until cooked.
- Before serving add steamed stuffed ingredients into stock and bring to boil.Dish into serving bowl, sprinkle chopped spring onions and some garlic oil over and serve hot with some noodles.