Adapted from Nigella Christmas
1 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup liquid glucose
1 1/2 cup salted peanuts
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Prepare a large baking tray with a large sheet of waxed baking paper and oil it. Place it near the stove.
- Put sugar,water & glucose in a heavy pan,bring it to boil then slowly increase the heat and let it continue boiling for 10minutes, do not stir the hot syrup.Occasionally give it a swirl until the syrup has turned gold in colour.
- Take the pan off the heat and with a wooden spoon,add vanilla extract & baking soda followed by the peanuts. You will have a golden,frothy,hot & gooey mixture.
- Pour this briskly onto the waiting waxed baking paper,using the wooden spoon to coax and pull it to make a nut-studded sheet,puddle shaped though it may be,rather than a heap.
- Leave it to cool, then break into pieces and store in an airtight container.