Friday, March 16, 2012

Kue Nastar (Indonesian Pineapple cookies)

Ahh the blissfulness of having melt in the mouth pineapple tarts. Seriously,I always thought the ones I have been making for the past 10 years was the pineapple tarts but when I tried this recipe out because after months of not making my pineapple tarts I kinda forgot the recipe.Well mostly it was feel,touch and taste.

I brought these ready made pineapple jam from Malaysia to make pineapple cookies but never really got around it.I will be leaving Sydney for good in June so I had to start clearly my pantry of junk accumulated over the past 4 1/2 years I have been here. (Can't believe I have been in and out of Sydney for sucha long time) No the pineapple jam is not 4 1/2 years old.I brought them over last semester.

I have been wanting to making these so called melt in the mouth pineapple cookies for the longest time but never found a recipe that I was comfortable with,I mean a recipe,in my gut feeling, is the right one.

I stumbled upon this amazing blog Bisous A Toi while surfing the net for recipes and I must admit I was hooked as I was scrolling her blog. Love at first sight.Why? Because she has recipes that I have been longing to recreate/bake & her ideas are interesting to inspire.This is my version of the nastar recipe.I played around with the ingredients to see if I could get the texture and taste I wanted.And I am almost there.=) Yeay!


250g unsalted butter
50g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
275g plain flour
75g corn flour
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoon full cream milk powder

egg wash (one yolk with a little milk mixtured together)


approx 500g pineapple filling ( I used store bought one, I made my own pineapple filling before but didn't like the taste of it.Will have to play around with the flavours and get a proper recipe)
  1. The night before ( you could make these 2 hours before as well), I made little pineapple rolls out of the filling.60 balls.And refrigerate it to harden.

  2. Beat butter,sugar & vanilla until well combined.Don't overbeat it,you don't want to incorporate too much air into the mixture)
  3. Add egg yolks and blend to combine with a wooden spoon or hand held mixer.
  4. Then add the flours and milk powder and gently mix to combine.
  5. Roll out little balls,this recipe should give 60 mini balls.With the palms of your hands, flatten each balls and place one pineapple filling ball in the dough. Then with two palms roll the pineapple filled dough into a ball again.
  6. Once all the cookies are done brush the cookies with egg wash.
  7. Bake in a preheated oven of 175 C for 20-30 minutes.

No comments: