Saturday, March 24, 2012

Forgotten Pudding

I had some left over egg whites in the freezer from last week. And I thought I had double cream and passionfruit at home, whipping up a pavlova would be great, not just any pavlovas but mini nest pavies which I could just put a teaspoon of whipped double cream and passion fruit and pop them straight into my mouth!The sweet crisp mashmallowy texture with cream and tangy passion fruit.My imagination made me salivate.......until I opened my tub of double cream to find pink crystals on the cream.Eeew!Not even past the due date, mind you,it smelt real bad. I had to throw it away obviously but I had passion fruits that were wrinkled so bad. I had no choice but to still make them.Lucky mum wanted to go grocery shopping that night! While shopping, mum came up to me excitedly ," Let me show you something,they are beautiful! Do you want some? If yes, make sure you eat them by tomorrow." What were they? Beautiful red raspberries! I told her I could use them in my pavies. She frowned at me and placed them in the cart! We came home and usual I came up to my room to check facebook.Sucha addict. This time it brought some good to me. Nigella updated her news feed with this fool proof simple dessert- Forgotten Pudding!! I have no idea why it's called a pudding but this is her description:
There is a wonderful poetry to the name of this pudding which, thankfully, once eaten could never be forgotten. It's an old,old recipe popularly exhumed- I believe_ by the late, great Richard Sax. Think of it as a kind of mashmallow-based pavlova. That's to say, you whip the egg whites as if making meringue, spread on a swiss roll tin ( or that's how I make it) put it in an oven which you immediately switch off,leaving the pudding to cook overnight,hence 'forgotten'.
Interesting enough.Anyway here's the recipe I got from her website, adapted version as she used 6 egg whites and I only had 4.

4 egg whites
a big pinch of salt
200g caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
300ml double cream
4 passion fruits
1 packet of raspberries
  1. Preheat oven to 220 C/ Gas 7
  2. In a large clean bowl, whisk egg whites and salt until peaks begin to form.
  3. Gradually add the 2oog of sugar, then the cream of tartar and vanilla, whisking all at maximum speed,until the whites are stiff and glossy.
  4. Spread meringue mixture evenly on baking parchment paper or buttered swiss roll tin.
  5. Put in the oven,close the door, then immediately switch off the oven and leave overnight, without opening the door or even thinking of peeking. shooo go sleep!=P
  6. When you want to serve it, remove to a large plate.
  7. Whisk the double cream in a well chilled bowl using well chilled balloon whisk until thick but soft and spread over the mashmallow meringue.
  8. Scoop out the seeds and pulp of the passion fruit and dot them over the cream. Tumble the raspberries over the top.
  9. Cut into slices and serve.
Viola~

No comments: