Sunday, March 4, 2012

Fig tart

Mum never knew what figs tasted but heard so much about it so she bought figs on We
dnesday evening. Then she realised she didn't know what to do with it.Genius! I stumbled upon a couple of fig tart recipes in the past and thought maybe I will try of the recipes but I couldn't find my saved recipes.Hate it when I look for a particular recipe,I can't find it and when I don't need it,it pops out.=.=" I showed my boyfriend a picture of my fig tart and he asked me what is figs. My reply was Good question.I know I may sound bimbo but I honestly didn't know what it was so I googled it and this was the only understandable description of a fig,quite obvious though.LOL.
A Fig is A soft pear-shaped fruit with sweet dark flesh and many small seeds, eaten fresh or dried.
I made a simple frangipane tart filling with a puff pastry base and topped it with honey coated figs

1 1/2 sheet store bought puff pastry,thawed
100g butter, melted and cooled
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup almond meal
3/4 cup plain flour
7 figs, quartered
1 vanilla pod, scraped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
100ml honey
  1. Preheat the oven to 200C .Lightly butter a rectangular tart pan, then cut an exact size of puff pastry for the base of the pan. Then for the sides. Bake the base for 10 minutes.
  2. While baking the base, in a large bowl place the dry ingredients ( almond meal,sugar & plain flour ) and in a measuring jug, place the wet ingredients (eggs, melted butter,vanilla extract and beans). Mix the water and dry ingredients until well combined.
  3. Remove the base from the oven, pierce the pastry with a fork then gently scope the frangipane filling into the base and bake for another 25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted comes out clean and the pastry is puffed and golden.
  4. Place the figs and honey in a bowl and toss gently to coat and set aside.
  5. Top the pastry with the coated figs and bake for another 5 minutes.
  6. Dust with icing sugar and serve with double cream.

No comments: