I always love simple cakes with no frosting what so ever and I particularly love butter cakes.Butter cakes are perfect for tea time or as a snack.
250g caster sugar
250g self rising flour
6 large eggs,separated
1 teaspoon baking powder
50ml (35% fat) cream
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
1teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 C and line baking tin with butter and then baking paper.
- Cream butter then gradually add 150g of sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks one at a time,making sure all eggs are fully incorporated before adding the vanilla paste and extract & cream.
- Gently fold flour and baking powder into batter.
- In a different bowl whisk egg whites until soft peaks,gradually add the remaining sugar and continue whisk until you get something similar to a meringue,not too dry.
- Fold the meringue like base into the cake batter until just incorporated.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.