Next week this time, it would time for me to leave for Sydney again for my final semester.Finally! I love my cakes very much.I realised I don't really fancy desserts and pastries as much as a simple home baked cakes with anything but cheap gross margarine that most bakeries use in Malaysia.It's quite sad. This cake was adapted from Alex Goh's Creative Making of Cakes. I find his recipes work really well.
Coffee Sponge cake
15g cake emulsifier
125g cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
75g melted butter
- Line baking tin with butter and place a round baking parchment at the bottom of the baking pan.
- Pour (A) into the mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add (B) and whip till thick.
- Stir in (C) with the batter.
- Whip the batter till light and fluffy
- Mix (D) will well incorporated. Pour into 2-8" round baking moulds. Bake in a preheated oven of 180C for 30 minutes.Once baked,remove cakes immediately from the moulds.
250g unsalted butter
90g icing sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Using a whisk attachment on stand mixer, whisk butter until light and pale.
- Gradually add the icing sugar & vanilla.
- Continue to whisk for another 2 minutes until cream is light and fluffy.
To assemble cake:
- With a serrated knife, cut each cake layer in half, horizontally.
- Place one of the cake layers, top of the cake facing down, onto a serving platter.
- Spread the cake layer with a layer of frosting. Place another layer of cake on top of the frosting and continue to frost and stack the cake layers.