Friday, October 7, 2011

Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding

Looking through my old camera pictures, I realised I had quite a few good recipes I tried and it was successful and there were also experiment went bad recipes-my boyfriend's cake. I am sorry.Well I was playing around with recipes and tried to make a chocolate recipe I made the year before that which his mum said was very nice, and wanted the recipe.I take that as a compliment. Not knowing the actual recipe to be honest, I tried to remake the cake so that I could give her the recipe but that was an Epic fail!=( I am not sure if I over baked the cake or what but the top became rather hard.The surface was hard to cut and I wanted to layer the cake with some pure cream,big ambitious hopes on my boyfriend's birthday cake.=P We will try and keep the ambitious experiments for testing recipes and not on occasions.



Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding -Nigella Lawson-Kitchen


Buying Nigella's Kitchen came unplanned for a cookbook collection addict like me,I'd be honest. I could just read rave reviews on a book and look for it all over and once bought,I'd try a few recipes from the book and it would be forgotten. And Nigella having her own shows I thought I could just get the recipes off youtube or something,and I completely forgot about it. But while shopping at Kinokuniya, KLCC with my boyfriend, I stumbled upon this amazing book. I went over to Kinokuniya to get my much loved Parisian dessert book by Dorie Greenspan-Paris Sweets. It's like a story book of the great patisserie in Paris making you drool over the descriptions of desserts and atmosphere.

When making my desserts,I never compromise on the good things like double cream, FULL Cream milk & vanilla extract used in recipes,I am sorry if I am rude but if you are going to use low fat milk you might as well use water but it makes no difference. Something my dad taught me! haha.If you are in Malaysia, it's sad to say that the full cream milk we get from supermarkets are like low fat milks in Australia unless you get milk from small companies supplying milk that's a different story. I get my milk from a local milk man and the milk is really good and you can see the cream float on the top of the milk which my dad says it's similar to the ones in the UK. And as for the vanilla extract, the ones we usual get like Star Brand etc are actually chemically manufactured vanilla 'stuff' and not the real thing so unless you want to get the best of flavours try not using vanilla essence.


250g baguette loaf, torn into big chunk size pieces
100g chocolate chips, I used Lindt Milk Chocolate
3 large eggs
40g brown sugar
50ml dark rum, you can omit this with vanilla extract if you want.
150 double cream
500ml full cream milk
4tsp demerara sugar, I used brown sugar

  1. Preheat the oven to 170C/gas mark 3. Grease a round ovenproof dish lightly with butter, Tip in baguette pieces.
  2. Toss in the chocolate pieces to spread evenly among the baguette pieces.
  3. Whisk together the eggs,brown sugar,rum,double cream and milk. Pour this mixture over the loaf pieces and press the pieces down to coat them in the liquid.
  4. Leave all this to soak for 20 minutes, then sprinkle with 4tsp brown sugar and put straight into the over for 40-50 minutes. If your oven browns unevenly, turn the dish around halfway through cooking time.
  5. Let the dish stand for a while before serving-if you can. The smell as it bakes is almost overwhelming and it can be hard to wait once it is out of the oven.
  6. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.


No comments: