Monday, December 12, 2011

Pavlova with passion fruit

I just came back from Italy two days ago.And it was a beautiful trip. I baked a pavlova with whipped cream and passion fruit pulp as topping before I left for Italy.Having made pavlova twice before this, I was a little nervous making it again but I had the craving a nice pavlova with passion pulp so made this pavlova from the Monday Morning Cooking Club cookbook I bought from Amazon UK.And it was the best pavlova I've ever eaten.6 months ago, I made Indonesian Layer Cake and it required 25 egg yolks so I had the egg whites as leftovers. I kept the egg whites in the freezer. Over time after baking cakes and pastries, the amount of leftover egg whites had increased.I used to give my dogs the egg whites before,thinking it was pointless to keep the egg whites, stupid I know but I've learnt.=P The combination of tangy flavour of passion fruit has and the sweetness of the pavlova was a perfect match.

Adapted from Monday Morning Cooking Club cookbook
6 egg whites, at room temperature
pinch of salt
460g caster sugar, I found this a little too sweet to my liking
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoon vinegar

Topping
350g pure cream
pulp of 6 passion fruits
  1. Preheat oven to 150 C. Grease an ovenproof platter, I used a cookie pan.
  2. Place a mixing bowl & whisk in the fridge.
  3. To make the meringue base, whisk egg whites with salt until soft peaks form, then add the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, continuously until all the sugar is incorporated.
  4. Continue to whisk for another 5-10 minutes until the meringue base is smooth,creamy and glossy, the meringue base doesn't have a grainy feeling when you rub the meringue mixture with your fingers.
  5. Using a metal spoon, gently fold vanilla extract & vinegar.
  6. Pile the meringue on top of the cookie pan and flatten a little with a spatula.
  7. Bake for 45 minutes, don't open the oven door until the last minute to check the meringue and quickly close it back, turn the oven off and leave the pavlova in the oven for 1 hour with the door closed.
  8. Pour cold pure cream in the cold mixing bowl and whisk until stiff.
  9. When meringue has cooled completely, top with the whipped cream and passion fruit pulp. You can make this ahead of time and refrigerate the meringue with cream until needed, and add the passion fruit just before serving.








No comments: