Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Jam Donuts

I asked my cousins the other day if they liked my jam doughnuts I made earlier, and they said yes so I was gonna make it again, because I enjoyed making the doughnuts. While browsing through facebook, Monday Morning cooking Club posted their pictures of jam doughnuts and the doughnuts looked delicious. So I put my doughnut making on hold until they posted the recipe on facebook.

I made a pavlova recipe from their book and everyone who ate it said it was really good.A few who didn't know what a pavlova was thought they were eating cream or ice cream,LOL! I hope to make their cinnamon rolls & date slices soon after the kitchen renovation is completed.

I had to ask for an opinion of comparison between this jam doughnuts & the earlier jam doughnuts and everyone said they liked this better,it was fluffier,I must admit but I need to work on my photography.

Adapted from Monday Morning Cooking Club Facebook notes



2 sachets (15g) dry yeast
2 tablespoons caster sugar
¼ cup (60 ml) tepid whole milk
1 tablespoon plain flour
450 g (3 cups) plain flour
50 g butter or margarine, melted
½ teaspoon salt
50 g (3 tablespoons) caster sugar
2 egg yolks, beaten
270 ml (1 cup plus 1 tablespoon) tepid milk
1 small jar strawberry jam for the filling
3-4 cups (or more, depending on size of pan) vegetable oil, for frying
Extra caster sugar, for rolling

  • To test the yeast is active, combine the first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well. Cover and leave for 20 minutes until it froths up.My first batch did not froth up as much so I had to redo this process.
  • Mix the flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mixture, then egg yolks, milk and melted butter. Using a whisk, slowly  incorporate the flour mixture and then, using a wooden spoon or spatula, mix until you have a smooth and thick dough (a little like a heavy batter).
  • Cover with plastic wrap and a tea towel and put in a warm place for 1 – 2 hours until it has doubled in size.
  • After it has risen, scoop out the dough with plenty of flour in your hand onto a very well floured surface and roll or pat out flat. Use a small cookie cutter (I used a scone cutter) to cut out small circles. Place half of these on a well floured tray. Place half a teaspoon of jam in the middle of each circle and cover with the remaining cut circles. Press the edges together to ensure they are sealed. Cover with a floured tea towel and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
  • Heat the oil in a deep frypan or saucepan to very hot, 175°C (350°F). There needs to be enough oil so that the donuts can float, at least to a 2 cm depth.
  • Fry the donuts (no more than 6 at one time) on both sides until golden brown. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon, drain on paper towel and then roll in caster sugar.
  • Eat almost immediately.

1 comment:

Lisa G said...

Preeta your sugary doughnuts look FABULOUS indeed! We are really happy that you have found our facebook page and are enjoying our recipes. Your blog is really great! Keep on cooking!!