Thursday, December 15, 2011

Tapioca cake

This is a typical nyonya kuih you get in the hawker stalls in Malaysia. I personally like the ones I make better than the ones you get in the hawker stalls because the ones you get in hawker stalls taste very starchy,yes I know it's tapioca but it tastes very different when you make it yourself. I personally feel the ones you get in hawker stalls are made from tapioca flour and not tapioca itself.I found this amazing recipe from Anges Chang's Hawker's Delight.Excuse the look of my tapioca cake,I used the wrong tin for the tapioca cake,hence the cake became 'thin looking'

500g grated tapioca
200g caster sugar
150g thick coconut milk
1 egg
75g melted butter, extra for lining the top of the tapioca mixture
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 piece banana leaf,for lining the tin

  • Line a baking tin with softened banana leaf.*
  • Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl until well combined.Pour into the lined baking tin.
  • Brush mixture generously with butter on top.
  • Bake in a pre heated oven at 190 C for about 45 minutes until golden brown.
  • Remove and leave to cool completely,if you can wait that long before cutting into pieces!
* leave banana leaf under hot sun to softened

No comments: