Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Raspberries and cream swiss roll


I was meant to make a raspberry soufflé but I was busy with my job interview preparations so I thought I might as well make a swiss roll out of it because I love swiss rolls especially chiffon rolls. Since my boyfriend bought two packets of fresh raspberry,I kept the balance in the freezer for future use and I already have a recipe in mind!=) Making soufflé would require me to blend the fresh raspberries into a puree and I felt it would be a waste since the fresh raspberries looked beautiful so eating it whole would be wonderful! I was meant to make a chiffon roll again but I followed a different recipe,silly me although this swiss roll is pretty tasty, I prefer the previous one I made, the durian chiffon roll. It is a simple swiss roll with fresh cream and raspberries.




Swiss roll recipe adapted from Aunty Yoschana
4 large eggs, separated
100g caster sugar
90g cake flour,sifted
60g corn oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract


  1.  Preheat oven at 180C. Grease & line with baking paper a 30cm x 30cm swiss roll pan. (shallow square pan)
  2. Beat egg yolks and 50g caster sugar until ribbon stage. 
  3. Add vanilla extract,mix until well combine.
  4. Sift flour over mixture and fold until well incorporated.
  5. Fold in oil until combined. (the batter will be very thick and mousse like)
  6. In another bowl, Whisk egg whites until soft peaks.Gradually add remaining sugar in 2 additions and whisk until stiff peaks.
  7. Fold 1/3 of meringue in cake batter until well combined. Continue with the remaining meringue in two batches until well incorporated.
  8. Pour batter into prepared tin. Level the batter with spatula evenly. Rap baking pan on a hard surface to remove large air pockets.Bake for 18-20 minutes.
  9. Remove from oven. Rap pan again right after removing it from oven to allow steam to escape if not your swiss roll with be soggy.
  10. Place a baking paper,slightly dusted with icing sugar on a cooling rack and turn cake upside down,remove baking paper from cake and allow to cool completely.
Whipped cream filling
200g cold whipping cream
50g icing sugar


Place beaters and bowl in the fridge for 2 hours or freezer for 30minutes - 1 hour. Just before assembling your swiss roll. Remove bowl and beaters from fridge/freezer and pour cream & icing sugar in the bowl. Place the bowl over another bowl filled with cold water and ice cubes. Beat until stiff peaks.



To assemble:
50ml kirsch (cherry liqueur) or fruit juice/liqueur/liquor you like
3 hands full raspberries

Brush cold cake with kirsch. Then spread whipped cream on cake evenly,arrange raspberries in three straight rows. Gently roll the cake into a swiss roll and chill for a minimum of an hour. Before serving, slice the ends off and dusting icing sugar on top. Serve chilled.

swiss roll layered with whipped cream
Raspberries arranged in three rows

Roll the cake carefully, wrap it in cling wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. 
Remove from fridge, slice the ends off,dust with icing sugar on top and serve!!

No comments: