Friday, July 20, 2012

Super vanilla Funfetti cupcakes with vanilla frosting

I made my own birthday cake this year because dad was vegetarian and personalised cakes can be very expensive these days. Dad insisted I had a small cake for him ( which he didn't eat at all besides feeding of cake time,he ate only the frosting!). It was more of my dad wanting to celebrate my birthday. I felt old celebrating my birthday party. I would have preferred having a quiet good dinner outside than have a party.

Anyway, the vegetarian orange cake was quite a disappointment to me, I almost gave up on the cake but I had no choice but to have it because it was pretty last minute to get a vegetarian cake somewhere. I learnt my lesson never to try a new recipe I am not sure of for a party or large crowd. I frosted the cake anyway with chocolate cream cheese frosting which was pretty tasty. It would have been great if the cake turned out well too.

I want to share the funfetti cupcake with buttercream frosting recipe and exclude the main cake all together because it was a major flop!

Here's the recipe from sweetapolita
I adapted the recipe slightly. The following is my variation:
I used:
  1. FOR THE CAKE- 1/2 cup egg whites.
  2. Instead of 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter & vegetable shortening each, I used all butter,salted and omitted the salt.
  3. FOR THE FROSTING - I used salted butter and omitted the salt
  4. Milk was not used because the weather in Malaysia was so hot, my frosting was soft already, adding milk might make the frosting softer.
  5. I decorated the cupcakes with fresh blackberries and raspberries instead of coloured sprinkles. 

My 23rd Birthday cake
Fun fetti inspired cupcakes
Frosted with vanilla buttercream and fresh blackberries and raspberries


No comments: