Anyway, the vegetarian orange cake was quite a disappointment to me, I almost gave up on the cake but I had no choice but to have it because it was pretty last minute to get a vegetarian cake somewhere. I learnt my lesson never to try a new recipe I am not sure of for a party or large crowd. I frosted the cake anyway with chocolate cream cheese frosting which was pretty tasty. It would have been great if the cake turned out well too.
I want to share the funfetti cupcake with buttercream frosting recipe and exclude the main cake all together because it was a major flop!
Here's the recipe from sweetapolita
I adapted the recipe slightly. The following is my variation:
- FOR THE CAKE- 1/2 cup egg whites.
- Instead of 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter & vegetable shortening each, I used all butter,salted and omitted the salt.
- FOR THE FROSTING - I used salted butter and omitted the salt
- Milk was not used because the weather in Malaysia was so hot, my frosting was soft already, adding milk might make the frosting softer.
- I decorated the cupcakes with fresh blackberries and raspberries instead of coloured sprinkles.