Saturday, July 14, 2012

Durian chiffon roll

  It's been ages since I updated my blog because I have been lazy and also busy with uni,moving back and settling down. All is done, now I am free to update. I got my results yesterday and I am proud to announce that I will finally graduate!!!woo hooo. I will definitely miss Sydney though but then again, home is home. I am still trying to adjust myself back here in Malaysia because things have changed since I left 4.5 years ago. Suddenly I feel like a Sydneysider,lol. I miss the winter and actually prefer the cold compared to the heat in Malaysia. It's an absolute nightmare. Safety in Malaysia is getting from bad to worse etc. I have baked quite a lot over the few months/weeks that I have been missing but never had the time to take proper pictures. Lately, I have had this huge obsession over chiffon cakes and sponge cakes so I have been spending time 'collecting' recipes over the internet from Chinese and Indonesian websites. The Chinese, Japanese & Indonesians have their own versions of chiffon and sponge cakes. So far, the Indonesian recipes have worked well for me. Will have to practice on the Chinese and Japanese ones as well. I prefer chiffon cakes over sponge cakes because I feel sponge cakes are little drier compared to chiffon cakes, I may be wrong but from what I have made and eaten, Chiffon cakes are moist,fluffy, light like eating cotton cakes. 

My perfect chiffon roll, 2nd attempt in making it in 24hours.
Yesterday's distorted durian chiffon roll. It  somehow had cracks when I rolled it . So when I sliced it , the slices turned out like the ones in the picture below. I had to chill it for another 2-3 hours to be able to slice perfect slices.

I adapted the cake slightly from here and made my own durian filling

Chiffon roll:
(A)
5 egg yolks
60g caster sugar
75ml oil
100ml milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
125g cake flour

(B)
5 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon salt
80g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

Durian filling: (make this ahead of time and place in the fridge to chill)
1 teaspoon gelatin powder
5 teaspoon water
125g durian flesh
150ml whipping cream
50g icing sugar


  1. Durian filling - Mix gelatin and water. Warm mixture in the microwave for 1-2 minutes to dissolve the gelatin. It should be just warm not hot.Allow to cool completely (defrost setting) 
  2. Blend the durian flesh until smooth.
  3. Whip the cream, sugar, and gelatin mixture until stiff peaks. Fold in durian puree. Chill
  4. Chiffon roll -Grease and line a 30x30 cm pan. Preheat oven at 180C.
  5. (A) Whisk yolks,vanilla extract and sugar until very thick,pale and fluffy ( Ribbon stage) about 10minutes. Add milk,oil and flour and continue mixing until well combined.
  6. (B) In another bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy then add salt and cream of tartar. Add sugar gradually until stiff peaks.
  7. Take 1/4 of the meringue and mix in (A). Then pour the batter into (B) and fold until well combined.
  8. Pour batter into a prepared tin and level the batter evenly in the tin.
  9. Bake for 15 minutes.
  10. Remove from oven,run a sharp knife through the sides of the tin and turn the cake on a cooling rack. Allow it to cool slightly before using a new baking paper to roll the unfilled chiffon sheet, leave it for a few mins (less than 5 mins) before unrolling it back. Let it cool completely before spreading the durian filling evenly on top, because not to over spread the filling on the chiffon sheet, carefully roll it back again and chill for 2-3 hours. Slice the sides off and then slice generous slices for yourself to enjoy! =)



No comments: