|My perfect chiffon roll, 2nd attempt in making it in 24hours.|
|Yesterday's distorted durian chiffon roll. It somehow had cracks when I rolled it . So when I sliced it , the slices turned out like the ones in the picture below. I had to chill it for another 2-3 hours to be able to slice perfect slices.|
I adapted the cake slightly from here and made my own durian filling
5 egg yolks
60g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
125g cake flour
5 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon salt
80g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Durian filling: (make this ahead of time and place in the fridge to chill)
1 teaspoon gelatin powder
5 teaspoon water
125g durian flesh
150ml whipping cream
50g icing sugar
- Durian filling - Mix gelatin and water. Warm mixture in the microwave for 1-2 minutes to dissolve the gelatin. It should be just warm not hot.Allow to cool completely (defrost setting)
- Blend the durian flesh until smooth.
- Whip the cream, sugar, and gelatin mixture until stiff peaks. Fold in durian puree. Chill
- Chiffon roll -Grease and line a 30x30 cm pan. Preheat oven at 180C.
- (A) Whisk yolks,vanilla extract and sugar until very thick,pale and fluffy ( Ribbon stage) about 10minutes. Add milk,oil and flour and continue mixing until well combined.
- (B) In another bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy then add salt and cream of tartar. Add sugar gradually until stiff peaks.
- Take 1/4 of the meringue and mix in (A). Then pour the batter into (B) and fold until well combined.
- Pour batter into a prepared tin and level the batter evenly in the tin.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven,run a sharp knife through the sides of the tin and turn the cake on a cooling rack. Allow it to cool slightly before using a new baking paper to roll the unfilled chiffon sheet, leave it for a few mins (less than 5 mins) before unrolling it back. Let it cool completely before spreading the durian filling evenly on top, because not to over spread the filling on the chiffon sheet, carefully roll it back again and chill for 2-3 hours. Slice the sides off and then slice generous slices for yourself to enjoy! =)