Friday, September 2, 2011

Nigella's Caramel Croissant Pudding




I always like my desserts rich in flavour and I never like to substitutes. I like croissants with jam,with ham & cheese all sorts and when I came across a recipe for croissant pudding I knew I wanted to try it out.Well obviously it was a recipe from the Domestic Goddess herself, Nigella Lawson I knew I could trust her recipe.This recipe was from her book called Nigella Express but I double-triple the amount,Who could resist?
Adapted from Nigella Lawson
Ingredients
450g croissant
250g caster sugar
60ml tbsp water
250ml double cream
300ml full cream milk
5 extra large eggs (min 900g),beaten
1 tsp brandy essence
Method (Copied from Nigella's website,I was lazy)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
2. Tear the croissants into pieces and put in a small gratin dish.
3. Put the caster sugar and water into a saucepan, and swirl around to help dissolve the sugar before putting the saucepan on the hob over a medium to high heat.
4. Caramelize the sugar and water mixture by letting it bubble away, without stirring, until it all turns a deep amber colour; this will take 3-5 minutes. Keep looking but don't be too timid.
(Yes. I freaked out and threw the first batch of caramel out it was hard, I never experimented with sugar so I freaked out, yes I did read about sugar and caramelizing but when I saw the outcome at the spite of moment I thought I was wrong but I wasn't and I was afraid if I kept the cream and milk long in heat it will curdled etc, I am still learning anyway. It was an experience. They say desserts are an art and a science too. =) If it's hard don't throw away the mixture, just continue to stir the mixture over low heat until the toffee melts.)
5. Turn heat down to low and add the cream - ignoring all spluttering - and, whisking away, the milk and bourbon. Any solid toffee that forms in the pan will dissolve easily if you keep whisking over low heat. Take off the heat and, still whisking, add the beaten eggs.
6. Pour the caramel bourbon custard over the croissants and leave to steep for 10 minutes if the croissants are very stale.
7. Place in the oven for 35-40 minutes and prepare to swoon.
8. I drizzled some melted chocolate over the pudding after baking cause I had some leftover chocolate from Max Brenner's.

No comments: