Thursday, September 15, 2011

Lemon Meringue Pie

Mum always complains I waste too much money on desserts instead of buying healthy food and suggested I bake since I love baking, so over the weekend I asked for suggestions and one of it was lemon meringue pie. I wasn't too keen on making it because firstly I don't like sour things and second the thought of making another meringue based dessert is daunting and worst of all, I don't know what to expect out of a lemon meringue pie because I never had one until the night before that and I did not like it but because mum likes tangy flavours,she liked what she tasted the night before. So I gave it a try anyway. And I am very pleased with the results. =)

Ps:The lemon curd filling I opted was more of a lemon custard filling than a lemon curd. Shall make a lemon curd filling next.


Sweet Crust Pastry

100g diced cold unsalted butter

75g icing sugar

1tsp vanilla extract

1 egg

225g self raising flour

Lemon custard

250ml milk

25g double cream

220g caster sugar

3tbsp cornflour

125ml milk,extra

200ml lemon juice

zest of 3lemons

6 egg yolks

Meringue

6 egg whites

250 sugar, I used vanilla sugar I made previous,you can add a teaspoon of vanilla extract

1 tsp white vinegar

To make the pastry: process flour, icing sugar mixture & butter until they resemble breadcrumbs. Add egg and process again until pastry begins to resemble bread crumbs .Tip onto a lightly floured work surface and knead briefly until smooth. Shape into a flat disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.


Preheat oven to 220°C or 200°C fan-forced. Roll out pastry between 2 sheets baking paper until 3mm thick. Press pastry into 24cm loose bottomed flan tin.(I used 3 disposable foil trays). Trim edges and prick base using a fork. Line with baking paper and fill with dried beans, lentils or baking beads. Bake in preheated oven 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove paper and beans; return to oven. Bake a further 5 minutes or until pastry is lightly golden brown all over base. Allow to cool.

To make lemon curd: Pour cream, milk , lemon juice and zest into a small saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl, add half the cream and juice mixture and whisk to combine. Pour back into the saucepan with remaining cream and cook.Place the cornflour and extra milk in a small bowl and stir to combine. Pour the cornflour mixture into the curd mixture and whisking until mixture comes to the boil and thickens.
Allow to chill for 30 minutes. Spoon the lemon mixture into the pastry case and refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.

To make the meringue, place the eggwhites in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and white vinegar and beat until thick and glossy.

Spoon the meringue on top of the curd and grill (broil) under a preheated hot grill for 1–2 minutes or until golden and cooked.

I had extra of the meringue mixture, so I made mini pavlovas by placing mini scoops of meringue mixture and baking them for around 10-15mins. Then I served it with double cream and fresh passion fruit pulp.

No comments: