Monday, September 17, 2012

Mini vanilla cupcakes with cream cheese frosting

I had two very interesting recipes to make this weekend but somehow I ended up making two different cupcakes this weekend. Probably baked them when I come back from Sydney in three weeks. Anyway, I baked these cupcakes for an orphanage. Dad wanted to give the girls something different so I volunteered myself to bake these mini cupcakes since I wanted to use the egg trays I painted. I opened my chiller and found three blocks of butter and half a block of cream cheese. Dad wanted something quick and easy. So I thought why not my fool proof butter cake with some cream cheese frosting and funfetti as decoration. It turned out perfect! fluffy moist butter mini cupcakes with pink cream cheese frosting and funfetti! I have posted the butter cake recipe before but I made some 'lazy' omission this time around.


Cupcakes
250g unsalted butter
250g caster sugar
250g self raising flour
6 egg yolks
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
50ml milk
  1. Preheat oven at 180 C
  2. Beat butter and sugar until very light and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time and mix well after each addition.
  3. Add vanilla extract.
  4. Fold in flour in three batches and by alternating it with milk.
  5. Whisk egg whites until stiff peaks but not dry.
  6. Fold in the whites with the cake batter.
  7. Using a cloth piping bag or heavy duty white piping bag and a plain nozzle, pipe the cake batter in the cupcake tray lined with cupcake liners. It should be around 3/4 cup full.
  8. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
  9. Once baked remove from cupcake tray and allow to cool completely.

Cream cheese frosting
227g cream cheese, room temperature
100g icing sugar,sifted
150g butter, slightly softened and cubed
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pink food colouring gel - Absolutely optional
Colourful funfetti, for decoration, absolutely optional as well
  1. Beat cream cheese until smooth and free of lumps.
  2. Add sifted icing sugar and vanilla extract and continue to beat until combined.
  3. Add cubed butter one at a time; making sure frosting is well combined after each addition of butter.
  4. If you want to add colouring, fold in the desired amount food colouring according to your preference of the shade of colour you want your frosting to be.
  5. Fill piping bag with a plain nozzle and pipe.
  6. Sprinkle some funfetti on your frosting and you are ready to serve.
  7. If your frosting starts to melt, place in the fridge for about 10 minutes and give it a good mix before piping.






No comments: