Monday, August 15, 2011

Jam Doughnuts

(adapted by Donna Hay's APR/MAY Magazine 2011)

It was love at first sight, I mean the cover on Jam filled doughnuts. I made baked doughnuts last summer but somehow it didn't turn out right. I opted for the baked one previously because I didn't like the idea of frying my doughnuts and it being oily.There was a certain temperature you had to fry your doughnuts so that you don't get oil dripping doughnuts, that's a turn off I would say.=P I love doughnuts. And I wanted to succeed in making something I love and when I saw the cover of Donna Hay's Apr/May 2011 issue I knew I had to get it. Donna Hay's recipes always worked for me. It's simple and fool proof.



  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • ½ cup (125ml) + 1 1/2 tbsp lukewarm milk
  • 2 tablespoons caster (superfine) sugar
  • 50g butter, melted
  • 2¼ cups (335g) plain (all-purpose) flour
  • 2 eggs
  • vegetable oil, for deep-frying
  • 1 cup Strawberry Jam (store bought or home made )

  1. Place the yeast, milk and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a large bowl and set aside in a warm place for 10 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface.
  2. Add the butter, flour, eggs and remaining sugar to the yeast mixture and use a butter knife to mix until a sticky dough forms.
  3. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a clean, damp cloth and set aside in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
  4. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
  5. Roll out to 1cm thick and use an 8cm-round cutter to cut 10 rounds from the dough.
  6. Place the rounds on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and set aside for 30 minutes or until risen.
  7. Place the oil and a sugar thermometer in a large, deep saucepan over medium heat until temperature reaches 180°C (350°F).
  8. Cook the doughnuts, in batches, for 1–2 minutes each side or until golden. Drain on absorbent paper.
  9. Let it cool for a few minutes, make a slit and use the nozzle of the piping bag to poke a hole in the side of the doughnut and fill with a bit of jam.
  10. Serve warm.



No comments: